Please note: Professional installation recommended.
Below you will find installation diagram that is applicable to most 12V setups and a basic installation procedure if you wish to install the kit yourself.
Before DIY Install
- Roughly decide where each component of the kit will be mounted
- Make sure there is enough wire and space to safely and professionally install the kit
- Keeping the supply wire to compressor as short as possible maximizes efficiency
- Locate safe and secure area for train horns
- Drill mounting holes for each horn mounts
- Secure horn using mounting hardware and double check fittings
Installing Air Compressor
- Disconnect battery cable from vehicle
- Place air compressor in a secure area up right or horizontally
- Install air compressor assembly
- Mount air compressor where it will be exposed to air flow
- Mount air compressor upright or horizontally (DO NOT mount upside down)
- Mount air compressor above air tank
- Use teflon tape on all fittings to ensure a 100% seal
Installing Air Tank
- Make sure hose to compressor to air tank is suitable length
- Position tank in desired location and secure it with mounting hardware
- Mount tank away from windows and out of the way of high traffic areas
- Double check all measurements before cutting and fitting tubing
- Leave approx. 1 inch extra per air line as precautionary measure
- Use teflon sealant to secure all fittings and prevent air leaks
- Check for any kinks or obscurities in the tubing after installation
- Connect air compressor to air tank, secure all connections
- Connect pressure switch to tank using teflon sealant
- Connect air tank to air valve, then valve to horn, using teflon sealant
- Make sure to properly cut tubing and use appropriate fittings
Troubleshooting – Q & A
Q: Why won’t my air horn make a sound?
A: Check air tank is pressurized, make sure switches are on, replace fuses, check all electrical circuits are secure
Q: Why does the sound of my horn change?
A: Ensure the air source from valve is entering the proper manifold, check each air line is equal length
Q: Why is there so much moisture in the horn?
A: Depressurize tank, drain tank, move compressor to area of less humidity
Q: Why isn’t my Compressor running?
A: Check switches, replace fuses, replace pressure switch
Q: Where is the excessive knocking coming from?
A: Move compressor to cooler area, replace air compressor
- Check for debris and clean horn and kit monthly
- Drain air system at least once a month to remove condensation
- Change air filter periodically
- Make sure engine is running to ensure proper voltage
- Wiring: Check installation diagrams for wiring instructions
- Do not disassemble the preassembled electrical components of the kit
- Do not try to repair any electrical connections yourself without professional supervision
- Do not operate near water
- Do not touch any wet components
- Use the kit only with a 12v DC Charging system
- Never leave the kit unattended during use
- Children should never operate system
- Beware of extreme heat from air compressor during use
- Do not use kit around open flames
- Do not operate horn near humans
- Use only in well ventilated areas
- Do not fill air tank above 150 PSI